If you want to use the convEGGtor to cook a large piece of meat slowly and indirectly, you can choose to rub the spice mixture over the meat in advance. There is no danger that sugar or harder herbs and spices such as thyme, rosemary or peppercorns will burn and sour the meat. However, this can happen when you grill the meat. For this reason, we only season this ribeye once it is done with a tasty mix of spices. While the meat is resting, the fluids and steam that are released will ensure that the herbs soften, providing a great transfer of flavor in a relatively short time.
For 4 people.
75 minutes, approximately.
1 ribeye (côte de boeuf) of 1 kg.
For the spice mix:
1 tablespoon of coarse salt.
½ tablespoon thyme leaves (fresh or dried).
1 teaspoon sprigs of rosemary (fresh or dried).
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika.
1 tablespoon of fennel seeds.
½ tablespoon of green peppercorns.
½ tablespoon garlic powder.
½ tablespoon caster brown sugar.
- Light the charcoal in your kamado Big Green Egg and heat it to 70-100 ° C. To prepare the spice mix, sprinkle the sea salt on the tray. If necessary, you can smoke more salt than is necessary for later use; smoked salt adds great flavor to any product.
- Spread a handful of walnut shavings over the hot charcoal and set the rack on the EGG. Put the tray with the salt on the grill, close the EGG lid and smoke the salt for 45-60 minutes. If you’re smoking a lot of salt, stir it in from time to time.
- Remove the tray with the salt from the EGG and put a tablespoon in a mortar. Add the rest of the ingredients from the spice mix and grind them finely, making sure to mix well.
- Take the grill out of the kamado, put the convEGGtor on and put the grill back on. Heat the EGG to 120ºC. Cut a corner of the fat off the ribeye and make a few cross cuts. Put the fat cut into the EGG for 1-2 minutes to melt a little. Rub the fat on the grill, put the ribeye and the piece of fat on top of the meat. Close the lid of the kamado and let the meat cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- Skim the fat from the meat, flip the ribeye, and put the piece of fat back on top. Putting the piece of fat on the meat enhances its flavor. Close the lid and let the meat cook a little longer until it reaches a temperature of 46ºC. At the end of the preparation, the ribeye will be done little-to-point to point. Keep an eye on the temperature.
- Remove the meat from the kamado, cover it with aluminum foil and remove the steel grill and the convEGGtor. Put the iron rack on the EGG, close the lid and heat it to 250ºC.
- Grill the ribeye on the grill for about two minutes on each side. Take the meat off the grill and sprinkle the spice mixture on both sides, for which you’ll need a half to a tablespoon (you can save the rest of the mixture for another time). Loosely cover the ribeye with aluminum foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Cut the meat into slices.